Lift your spirits and satisfy your sweet tooth with these simple, scrumptious cookies! This recipe is completely gluten-free and paleo, and uses only five ingredients, most of which you already have in your home. The resulting shortbread cookies make a refreshingly light treat that goes perfectly with a hot cup of tea on a rainy spring day. Let’s get started!
Lemon Almond Shortbread Cookies
Makes a dozen cookies
- 227 g butter (~2 cups)
- 160 g honey (~½ cup)
- 480 g almond meal (~4 cups)
- 1½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp lemon extract
- Soften butter.
- Beat butter and honey together until smooth.
- Add almond meal, salt, and lemon extract.
- Stir until consistent dough forms.
- Wrap dough and refrigerate for 1 hour (or until stiff).
- Heat oven to 325°F.
- Roll wrapped dough into a 2” wide log.
- Unwrap and slice into cookies, about ½” thick.
- Place cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Use a fork to press a lattice design into each cookie.
- Bake 8-10 minutes until edges are golden brown and tops are deep golden.
- Let cool before serving.
I had so much fun making this recipe! This would be a great one to do with the kids, and pretty easy to make in a bigger batch if needed. My final thoughts:
- Since this recipe is so simple, it would be a really fun place to experiment with different flavors. Play with other fruity extracts such as orange or banana, or swap the extract out for other ingredients. Try matcha powder for an incredible green tea cookie, or rosemary and parmesan for a savory option.
- Have fun with decorating! A round rolled log and lattice pattern will give you a very classic look, but don’t be afraid to try something different. Roll the dough into a square log instead for square cookies, make other patterns with a fork, or even add frosting. The only rule: make cookies that make you smile!
If you make this recipe, we would love to hear about it. Tag us on social media (@nuflours) to share your finished product.
- 0 comment
- Tags: clean eating, cookie, gluten free, gluten free lifestyle, gluten free recipes, paleo, spring, treat